So you’re thinking of getting of getting pregnant or you’re already pregnant? Or maybe you know of someone who is and you can share this post with them…
Did you know that seeking the help of a physiotherapist before getting pregnant, during your pregnancy, or after you have given birth can be really beneficial to you?
A woman goes through so many physical changes during pregnancy, including the change in body mass and increased pressure on her organs. These changes, in addition to any type of physical discomfort, can also affect one’s mental and emotional well-being and day to day life. This is why it is so important to be as proactive as possible to make your pregnancy experience as pleasant as possible.
Common physical issues that arise include:
- Back pain
- Pelvic floor weakness and pain
- Urinary incontinence
Other pre-natal and post-natal issues may include:
- Sacro-iliac joint pain
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Plantar fasciitis
- Postural changes
- Rectus abdominus diastasis
Your physiotherapist can help to assess, treat, and educate you with regard to safe and effective exercises to help deal with these issues as best as possible before, during, and after your pregnancy. This would include screening to ensure that you can safely do the suggested exercises, as well as an assessment to check your balance, flexibility, strength, posture, and any musculoskeletal issues that could affect your pregnancy.
Additional benefits of physio for pregnant women include:
- Help to prepare the body for pregnancy, ensuring it is aligned and ready to carry a baby
- Learn how to correctly do Kegel exercises to strengthen the pelvic floor
- Core stability training – prevent and treat back pain that comes along with pregnancy from the fluid retention and extra body mass
- Learn how to push correctly while giving birth to help prevent trauma to the pelvic floor
- Rehabilitation of the pelvic floor – your physio is trained on assessing muscles, nerves, and connective tissues
- Aid in recovery after childbirth
Your goal should be to have the healthiest and easiest pregnancy and delivery as possible. Let us help prepare you for the physical stress of labour, as well as help get you back into shape after your baby is born.
The Vancouver physiotherapists at Dunbar Physio are highly qualified with several years of experience in providing physiotherapy for pregnant woman. Give us a call to or book an appointment online today!