If you struggle with anxiety, please know that you aren’t alone. Millions of people suffer with this feeling of unease, worry, and fear. It ranges from mild to severe and can be generalized or situational. It can also be dependent on one’s current life circumstances. For example, if you’re going through a very stressful time, you would likely experience more anxiety. If you’re feeling really content and happy, you would likely experience little to no anxiety.
There has definitely been an increase of anxiety because of the Covid-19 pandemic. You may have been affected emotionally, financially, and even physically. This global problem has unfortunately created a lot of uncertainty.
You may even get more anxious about not being able to control your anxiety. It can feel overwhelming and as though you have no choice but to suffer. There are a lot of things you can do to manage your anxiety though, with one of the most effective being regular massage therapy treatments by a RMT (Registered Massage Therapist).
How does massage therapy help relieve anxiety?
- By reducing pain
- By relieving muscle tension
- By lowering cortisol, which is the stress hormone
- By activating the pregenual anterior cingulate cortex, which is the part of the brain where you experience happy feelings
Your massage therapist can customize a massage based on your individual needs.
What are some other things you can do for yourself to help manage your anxiety?
- Regular exercise is key – whether it be a walk, run, yoga, or some type of fitness class, exercise is guaranteed to have a positive impact on your mood and confidence.
- Use a foam roller, tennis ball, or other electric massager after your workouts or whenever you need to relieve some muscle tension.
- Starting your day with a stretching routine has so many benefits for your body and can help relax you. This is also key to do after working out. Not sure where to start? Your physiotherapist can put a stretching program together for you.
- Practice breathing exercises. For example: inhale for 4 seconds, hold your breath for 7 seconds, and exhale for 8 seconds.
- Refrain from drinking alcohol or caffeinated beverages. Choose water and chamomile tea.
- Stop smoking.
- Prioritize sleep and commit to a regular sleep schedule, going to sleep and waking up at the same time each day.
- Work on developing a positive mindset.
- Avoid procrastination.
- Remove things from your life that don’t bring you joy and calmness.
YouTube is an excellent resource for anxiety and stress-reducing ideas and techniques.
If you are dedicated to your health, you can make progress. The key is to take action and hold yourself accountable.
For registered massage therapy in Vancouver, book an appointment with our RMT now!